Q.Does A dog have to be on aleash?

A. Yes. All dogs must be on a leash. No dog shall be allowed to run at large or trespass on private property, even when on a leash. Any dog running at large may be taken to the City Animal Shelter by a Police Officer or an Animal Services Officer.
For information on “Leash Free” areas or inquiries about Mississauga Animal Services, please contact (905) 896-5858.

Q.Does the law require owners to clean up after their pets?

A. Yes. Owners MUST clean up after their pets. Owners who fail to “Stoop and Scoop” can be liable to a fine up to $5,000.

Q.Does my dog or cat need a license?

A. Yes. Dogs and cats need to be licensed. Licences can be obtained in person from the Animal Services Shelter or Civic Centre (Cashiers). Licences can also be purchased through the mail. Applications are available at the Animal Services Shelter, most veterinarians and pet stores. Licence information and applications are available by calling (905) 896-5861.

Q.Can i speak a car on the part of a driveway between the sidewalk and the road?

A. No. This is City land and unless a specific by-law is in place permitting lower driveway boulevard parking, you may not park a vehicle there. For more information contact the Traffic Operations Section at (905) 615-3200 ext 5131.

Q.Can i park my car overnight on my street?

A. There is a 3-hour parking time limit on all City roads unless posted otherwise.

Q.If i have company staying overnight,will they get a ticket if they park on the street?

A. You can request a Parking Consideration for visitors. This can be for overnight or for several days in special circumstances. Call (905) 896-5678 during the day and (905) 615-3000 after hours.

Q.Are school buses allowed to park on residential driveways?

A. The City of Mississauga Zoning By-laws contain provisions restricting the parking of commercial motor vehicles in residential zones. In some instances, smaller commercial motor vehicles may be parked on a residential driveway. To determine the maximum permitted weight, length or height of a commercial motor vehicle in a residential zone, you should contact the City’s Zoning Plans Examination Section at (905) 896-5581.

Q.Are we allowed to park boats or trailers on driveways?

A. Under certain circumstances, yes. There are many restrictions governing the storage of boats and trailers. Before planning to store a boat or trailer on your property please check for by-law restrictions and prohibitions with the City’s Zoning Section at (905) 896-5581.

Q.Are residents allowed to do car repairs on their driveway?

Major automotive repairs are prohibited in Residential Zones (By-law 5500). Residents may change the oil, tires and batteries of their own vehicles.

Q.How high can i make my fence?

The maximum height for a fence cannot exceed 2 metres (6 ft. 7 in) above effective ground level.

Q.I want to widen my driveway.Can i do this or do i need a permit?

A. The City of Mississauga Zoning By-laws contain provisions restricting the width of driveways. These zone provisions differ throughout the City. Before widening your driveway, you should contact the City’s Zoning Plans Examination Section at (905) 896-5581.

Q.Are residents require to clear snow from their sideway?

A. The City does not have a by-law requiring residents to do so. However, most residents are good neighbours and do clear their sidewalks.

Q.My neighbours make a lot of noise with stereos,etc.Is there anything i do?

A. The City of Mississauga Noise Control By-law No. 360-79 prohibits the playing of loud music or amplified sound between 5 p.m. of one day and 7 a.m. of the following day (9 a.m. on Sundays)

Q.My neighbours leaves junk all over his property.Is this allowed?

A. No. The City of Mississauga prohibits the storage of refuse or debris on private property.

Q.My neighbours built a deck that i think is too big.What can i do?

A. The City of Mississauga Zoning By-laws contain restrictions for accessory structures. To determine permitted uses, sizes or setbacks please contact the City’s Zoning Plans Examination Section at (905) 896 5581.

Q.How many pets can a resident keep?

A. No person other than a licensed kennel operator, pet store or veterinarian shall keep more than four (4) animals in the City of Mississauga.

Q.My neighbour’s dog barks all the time.What can i do?

A. Excessive noise caused by a barking dog is contrary to the City of Mississauga Noise By-law 360-79. Call (905) 896-5655 for more information.