Reconstruction of Burnhamthorpe Rd.
The City is undertaking the road reconstruction of Burnhamthorpe Road from Hurontario Street to Dixie Road. The contract has recently been awarded to Con-Ker Construction Corporation, a contractor which has successfully worked on similar projects throughout the City. We are confident that Con-Ker Construction will be able to complete this project competently and in a timely manner. Construction started at the west limit of the site on July 16, 2012. The expected completion date is June 30, 2013.
Construction Details (What are we doing?)
The work to be constructed includes:
- intersection improvements for transit priority queue jump lanes,
- the removal of right turn channel islands and the reduction of curb radii at signalized intersections,
- the construction of concrete lay-by lanes for transit,
- excavating the existing asphalt roadway and resurface the entire limit of the roadway,
- the construction of a multi-use trail on the north side of Burnhamthrope Road,
- construction of watermain at the north-west corner of Cawthra Road and Burnhamthorpe Road,
- construction of three cyclist/pedestrian structures on Burnhamthorpe Rd. across three waterways – West Branch Cooksville Creek, East Branch Cooksville Creek and Little Etobicoke Creek, is anticipated to start in winter 2012, but is not part of this project.
Streetlighting Upgrade/Installation (Why are we installing new streetlights?)
As part of the work, the City is replacing the street light poles on the north side of the road for improved illumination and compliance with current standards. The existing lighting on the north side of Burnhamthorpe Road is set back 4 to 5 metres from the curb and in order to bring the lighting level to current standards the light poles will be relocated approximately 2 metres from the face of curb. New poles are being installed as the existing poles, because of their age, will be structurally weakened during extraction.
Work Stages (How is the work going to be constructed?)
The work will be carried out in stages.
Stage 1 – Hurontario Street to just west of Cawthra Road
Road work such as curb, sidewalk, splash pad, catch basins, traffic signals and resurfacing, is expected to be completed by December 2012.
Stage 2 – 50m east of Cawthra Road to Dixie Road
Most of this road work, similar to Stage 1, is expected to be completed by December, 2012, however, if weather conditions do not permit, this section of road will be completed with base course asphalt by December 2012. Placement of top asphalt will be completed in the spring of 2013.
Stage 3 – Intersection of Cawthra Road and Burnhamthorpe
As part of this project, the Region of Peel will be installing a new watermain at the north-west corner of the intersection. Once the watermain work is complete, the road will be restored and resurfaced with top asphalt in the spring of 2013. For information regarding the watermain work please refer to the attached document.
Work Hours (When?)
Work was started on July 16, 2012 at the west limit, Hurontario Street, and will proceed to the east limit, Dixie Road.
Work will generally occur between 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, with work after hours and on weekend as required. Paving of asphalt may be carried out in late evening and overnight. The late evening and overnight work is required in order to support the daytime construction and complete the project as quickly as possible to minimize impacts to vehicular and pedestrian traffic.